top of page

Match Report: South Shields 2-1 Marine

South Shields made it seven wins from nine in the Pitching In Northern Premier League by overcoming Marine in a feisty affair at 1st Cloud Arena on Saturday.

Jordy Mongoy's clinical finish midway through the first half put the league leaders in front, but Hayden Campbell's header sent the sides in level at the break.

The Mariners came out from the interval in determined mood and re-claimed the lead from the penalty spot, with Darius Osei converting from 12 yards.

Marine's Mark Howarth was red carded in the aftermath of the goal for his continued protestations to the penalty and despite a spirited late show from the visitors, Shields saw it out to stretch their advantage at the summit to five points.

Kevin Phillips made two changes to the team which won 1-0 at Morpeth Town five days earlier, with Robert Briggs and Mackenzie Heaney introduced to the starting line-up.

The first decent chance came on 10 minutes when Martin Smith whipped in a free-kick which was flicked on by Dillon Morse to Osei, whose prodded effort from close range was well-saved by Bayleigh Passant.

Heaney fired over from distance as Shields maintained some early pressure before they found the breakthrough in the 23rd minute.

Briggs played a superb pass over the top which Mongoy latched onto before producing a beautiful, dinked finish to grab his fourth goal for the club.

Marine responded impressively and won a series of corners, one of which was brilliantly tipped over by Myles Boney, with Sol Solomon's strike destined for the roof of the net.

The Lilywhites pressed their hosts back and found an equaliser when Solomon did well down the right of the area and sent in a terrific ball to the back post which Hayden Campbell headed in at the back post.

Just before the half-time break, Heaney attempted to put Shields back in front but as he came in from the right-hand side, his effort was off target.

The home team started the second half brightly and went close to slicing their opponents apart on three occasions, but the final pass narrowly eluded them.

That changed just before the hour as Tom Broadbent retrieved an over-hit corner before being tripped by Mark Howarth as the referee pointed to the spot. Osei stepped up and slotted the penalty into the bottom-right corner to hand his side a lead they would not relinquish.

Howarth continued his protests after the goal and received a straight red card to make it a double-blow for Marine, but the visitors performed admirably with 10 players to make it something of a nervy ending for Shields.

A flurry of yellow cards were brandished as the game became increasingly tetchy, and there was an opportunity for the Mariners to seal the points when Blair Adams was played in by Osei, but Passant made a fine save with his foot.

Substitute Dylan Mottley-Henry fired wide and Passant tipped a long-range strike from Broadbent over the bar, but a series of late set-pieces caused some anxiety for the hosts, with Boney claiming a number of them under severe pressure.

He was then called on to make a tremendous fingertip stop from Mo Touray two minutes into stoppage time as the visitors searched for a dramatic equaliser.

But the final word almost came at the other end with a stinging effort from distance by Broadbent which whistled narrowly over, before the final whistle was blown to signal another Shields victory.

They are back in action next Saturday when they travel to Guiseley.

South Shields: Boney, Hunter, Broadbent, Liddle, Morse, Smith, Mongoy (Mottley-Henry 81), Briggs, Osei (Alessandra 90+5), Heaney, Adams (c). Subs not used: Doherty, Woods, Gomes.

Goals: Mongoy (23), Osei (pen 59).

Attendance: 2,157.

Image: Kev Wilson.

1,009 views0 comments


bottom of page