top of page

Match Report: South Shields 0-1 Chester

South Shields fell to a 1-0 defeat against Chester in Vanarama National League North to lose their unbeaten home record.

The scoring was opened in the 39th minute as Liam Edwards tapped in to give the visitors the lead.

The Mariners could not find an equaliser in the second half as Chester held on for all three points.

The Mariners made three changes from the 0-0 draw against Curzon Ashton on Tuesday, with CJ Clarke, Michael Woods and Mackenzie Heaney coming in for John Lufudu, Robert Briggs and the injured Aaron Martin. The visitors made one change for the game, with Kieran Coates brought into the team.

Chester got the first goal of the afternoon in the 39th minute after a corner was flicked on by Harrison Burke to an unmarked Edwards at the back post, who stretched to tap the ball past Myles Boney. The goal was the first the Mariners have conceded at home since the opening day of the season.

The Seals had a chance to extend their lead at the start of the second half when the ball was cut back from the left hand side to Charlie Caton, but Chester’s number nine missed the ball and the Mariners were able to clear.

Shields had a chance to equalise when half-time substitute Lufudu’s ball across the box squirmed through to Jordy Mongoy, but the forward's shot ballooned over the bar.

Lufudu continued to cause problems for Chester down the right hand side as the right-back put another dangerous ball into the box to Paul Blackett, who fired wide.

Boney was called into action to deny Caton, whose shot across the face of goal from inside the box was parried to safety.

Chester missed another chance to extend their lead after Shields gave the ball away in their own half before the ball fell to Elliott Whitehouse, who dragged his effort wide from the edge of the box.

The Mariners missed a golden opportunity to draw level after a scramble in the box following a corner. The ball eventually fell to Mackenzie Heaney, but the winger saw his shot from inside the six yard box sail over the bar.

Shields had a late claim for a penalty turned down after Tom Broadbent appeared to be pushed in the box after a long throw from Luke James.

Caton was once again denied by Boney in stoppage time as Chester tried to seal the three points.

The Seals held on despite Shields' efforts to equalise in stoppage time.

The Mariners are back in action next Saturday when they travel to Bishop's Stortford.

South Shields: Boney, Adams (c), Liddle, Broadbent, Clarke (Lufudu 46), Smith, Woods (James 66), Hasani, Heaney, Blackett, Mongoy (Morse 84). Subs not used: Briggs, Abbey.

Attendance: 2,325.

Image: Kev Wilson.

1,128 views1 comment

1 Comment

Waters Charlie
Waters Charlie
Apr 22

I am incredibly passionate about this blog. This blog is truly outstanding. This blog highlights the importance of making the blog accessible to others through the internet. basketball stars

bottom of page