top of page

Match Report: Hereford 0-3 South Shields

Paul Blackett was once again on the scoresheet for South Shields as they put Hereford to the sword in a 3-0 away win.


CJ Clarke opened the scoring in the 15th minute, coming off with injury shortly after.


Shields were without captain Blair Adams after his injury on Saturday at home to Boston United. Dylan Stephenson made his first full start for the club as he and John Lufudu swapped the bench for the starting eleven.


Hereford were hosting their first of three consecutive North East clubs with Blyth Spartans and Gateshead due to make the 10-hour round trip in the following weeks. They came into the fixture in 8th place, outside the play-offs on goal difference.


CJ Clarke put the visitors ahead after 15 minutes, as Shields corner causes trouble for the Hereford goalkeeper Curtis Pond, leaving a scramble between three orange shirts to put the ball in the back of the net, Clarke being the quickest to it.


Celebrations for Clarke were cut incredibly short as he pulled up during celebrations after previously requiring treatment. The goal scorer made way for Jed Abbey in the 18th minute.


Paul Blackett doubled the Mariners’ lead in the 33rd minute, manoeuvring his way through a plethora of Hereford players then coolly slotting the ball in the far corner.


Shields would be forced into a second early change as Jon Lufudu was on the receiving end of a nasty clash of heads and then a strain, ruling him out for the remainder of the game.

The Congolese defender was replaced by Albe Fletcher who came on for his Mariners debut.


Hereford came close to a goal back in first-half stoppage time as a long shot would lob Myles Boney in the Shields goal, but Tope Obadeyi put the rebound into the side netting.


Two minutes after the restart Jed Abbey’s strike came off the post and into the net as the substitute ran over to the 39 travelling South Shields fans to celebrate with those who made the long trip.


Myles Boney caught the ball on the goal line in the 53rd minute, resulting in protests from Hereford fans situated behind the goal that it had crossed the line, yet there was no appeals from those on the field. This would be as close as the home side would come to scoring.


The result puts Eliott Dickman’s side in 9th place, bridging the gap between them and the play-offs spots to one point with two games in hand over Curzon Ashton and Alfreton Town in the top six.

570 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page