top of page

Match Report: South Shields 4-2 Marske United

South Shields returned to the top of the Pitching In Northern Premier League with an entertaining 4-2 win over Marske United at 1st Cloud Arena on Tuesday.

The Mariners had to recover from an early setback when George Horbury opened the scoring for Marske within the first two minutes, but found their stride and levelled with a Robert Briggs penalty midway through the first half.

Jordy Mongoy fired the hosts into the lead soon after, only for Marske to equalise just after the hour through Donald Chimalilo.

A double from Darius Osei on 74 and 85 minutes proved decisive for Shields as they seized the victory and with it top spot.

Things had not initially gone to plan, with Marske striking first when a long throw was fizzed into the area and Horbury picked out the bottom corner.

Playing against the wind, Shields took control after falling behind and created the majority of the chances, but the Seasiders defended well.

The equaliser came in the 22nd minute when Ade Shokunbi, on his home debut, played through Dylan Mottley-Henry with a great first-time ball and a late challenge on the forward resulted in a penalty which was coolly slotted away by Briggs.

Just four minutes later, the Mariners were ahead. Mongoy wrestled with Jason Kennedy to win the ball and finished well past goalkeeper Michael Roxburgh.

Shields could have extended their lead six minutes before half-time as Mottley-Henry, who was a thorn in the side of his opposite number throughout the first half, whipped in a ball which was claimed by Roxburgh.

Another opportunity came and went early in the second half when Martin Smith's free-kick was superbly saved by Roxburgh.

Mottley-Henry continued being a danger for the Marske defence throughout the second half and in the 54th minute, he almost got a goal to show for it after some great hold-up play, but dragged the shot wide.

Against the run of play, Chimalilo found some space down the left, came inside and slotted the into the bottom corner to equalise for the travelling side.

Boney made a great stop in the 66th minute to deny Adam Boyes putting the Seasiders in front from a header as Shields came under some pressure.

Three minutes later and up the other end, Jordan Hunter fired a shot into the bottom corner which was well saved by the Marske goalkeeper to keep his side in the game.

It was the home side who found the fifth goal 74 minutes in, Smith curled in a beautiful free-kick which found the head of Osei, who flicked it into the bottom corner as Shields found themselves in front again.

They remained in control throughout the remainder of the second half and got their reward with a fourth of the evening and a second for Osei. Lewis Alessandra, off the bench, picked up the ball and played it to the Shields number nine, who turned and dispatched a lovely finish.

Alessandra could have got one of his own a minute later as he was through on goal, but Roxburgh, who had a busy evening, was equal to the chance this time.

South Shields: Boney, Hunter, Adams (c), Liddle, Broadbent, Smith, Briggs, Shokunbi (Alessandra 67), Osei (Gomes 88), Mottley-Henry, Mongoy (Heaney 70). Subs not used: Doherty, Woods.

Goals: Briggs (22), Mongoy (26), Osei (74, 85).

Attendance: 1,578.

Image: Kev Wilson.


bottom of page