top of page

Match Report: South Shields 3-2 Workington

South Shields came from behind in dramatic fashion against Workington, as a late brace from Michael Woods saw the Mariners through to the Emirates FA Cup second qualifying round.

Woods’ brace, as well as a magnificent solo effort from Martin Smith won the game for the Mariners, who were behind with three minutes to go.

Shields trailed twice in the match but now await the draw for the next round, which will be made on Monday.

They endured a tough afternoon against Workington but created the first chance as Mackenzie Heaney cut in on his favoured left foot, but his curling effort was well over.

Workington had the first real sight of goal in the opening proceedings, as David Symington’s venomous strike from distance stung the fingertips of Myles Boney, who parried over. From the resulting corner, Lewis Reilly nodded the visitors ahead, as Daniel Wordsworth flicked onto an open Reilly at the near post.

Robert Briggs had a great opportunity to level the scores almost immediately as his strike from the edge of the area was spilled by goalkeeper Jim Atkinson, but he recovered quickly.

Shields almost got themselves back in the game on the 15 minute mark as a Heaney corner bounced around the six-yard box, but Jack Bodenham couldn’t quite poke the ball home.

Heaney was trying to make things happen in the first half and could have levelled the scores with a great shot, but Lewis Alessandra got in the way of his strike.

Workington had a great opportunity to double their lead midway through the half when Reuben Jerome found tons of space inside the Shields box, but his curling strike went wide.

A loose ball fell to Briggs in space and he tried a snapshot from distance, but Atkinson comfortably collected the ball. Will McGowan had a similar effort only moments later and dragged his shot wide.

Smith levelled the scores just on the stroke of half-time. A mazy run from the midfielder opened up the space for a shot, and his low strike left Atkinson stranded and found the bottom corner.

Symington unleashed a powerful shot following a well-worked corner routine as the Reds attempted to go back in front, but the effort was always rising and was clear of any danger. Keelan Leslie had another chance for the visitors as he chested down a cross, but his half-volley went way over the bar.

Heaney twisted and turned on the edge of the box and he looked to slip his marker, but his right-footed shot was dragged wide of the target. Conor Newton then fired a brilliant low cross across the face of goal and Sam Hodgson was a fraction away from making contact. Heaney had another effort shortly afterwards which was blazed over the bar.

Shields started to pile on the pressure, and Hodgson came inches away from giving the Mariners the lead. He looked to slot his effort into the bottom corner, but Atkinson somehow tipped it wide. Hodgson had another great opportunity, with his header from close range somehow parried by Atkinson once again.

Workington had a great chance to take the lead as Reilly received the ball in acres of space inside the Shields, and his powerful strike was inches away from finding the net.

Wordsworth headed Workington back into the lead with 15 minutes to go as a teasing in-swinging cross from Niall Moran picked out the defender, and his glancing header found the bottom corner.

Reilly could have made it three for Workington as he caught his long-range strike well, but Boney matched his effort and parried well.

Smith tried his luck from distance as the visitors looked to shut up shop, but Atkinson matched his effort and held onto the ball, taking the sting out of the game.

Just as Shields looked to be running out of ideas, Woods produced a moment of magic. Hodgson nodded the ball to Woods on the edge of the area, and his first-time volley thundered into the bottom corner.

Two minutes into stoppage time, Woods won it for Shields. The midfielder showed great composure in front of goal to roll the ball past the defender and confidently finish into the bottom corner.

The Mariners are back in action on Tuesday when they host Guiseley in the Pitching In Northern Premier League.

South Shields: Boney, Newton, Doherty, Bodenham, Morse, Smith, Heaney, McGowan (Woods 51), Hodgson, Briggs (c), Alessandra (Mottley-Henry 64). Sus not used: Lukeman, Liddle, McGeorge.

Goals: Smith (43), Woods (87, 90+2).

Attendance: 914.

Image: Kev Wilson.

18 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page