top of page

Match Report: South Shields 1-0 Tamworth

South Shields earnt a hard-fought three points against table-toppers Tamworth to close the gap to three points to the top of the Vanarama National League North table.

Despite Tamworth having the better of the first half, Shields came closest to opening the scoring in the first half when Paul Blackett struck the woodwork.

The deadlock was broken in 58th minute when Jordy Mongoy headed past Tamworth goalkeeper Jas Singh to score what would prove to be the winner.

The Mariners withstood late pressure from Tamworth to clinch the three points.

South Shields made three changes to the XI which started the 1-1 draw with Brackley Town last week, with Jed Abbey, Mongoy and Blackett coming into the side. The Mariners were without John Lufudu through suspension, with Luke James and Joao Gomes missing out due to knee problems.

The first real chance of the game came in the 27th minute, as Blackett hit the post from a tight angle after rounding Singh.

After Blackett’s opportunity, Tamworth had the better of the remainder of the first half as they pushed for an opener.

Despite that, Myles Boney in the Shields goal wasn’t truly challenged until he was forced into a good low save by an acrobatic effort from Tamworth’s Jordan Cullinane-Liburd following a string of set-pieces.

The first chance of the second half fell to the Mariners as Mongoy latched onto Blackett’s through ball before his shot was saved one-on-one by Singh following hesitation by the Tamworth defence. This was just 15 seconds after the restart.

The first goal of the afternoon came in the 58th minute when Mongoy got on the end of Mackenzie Heaney’s cross from the right-hand side to head past Singh for his third goal of the season.

The Mariners were denied a penalty in the 63rd minute as appeals for a foul on Blackett were waved away despite it looking like the striker had been impeded while running through on goal.

Shields continued to push for a second, with Mongoy denied a second goal of the game after a last-ditch interception at the back post following a cross from CJ Clarke.

Tamworth had a chance to equalise in the 79th minute, with Nathan Tshikuna seeing his shot from inside the box get cleared following a scramble from a set-piece.

Sparks flew late on as Heaney was pushed into the advertising hoardings before a flying tackle from a Tamworth player left Clarke on the floor.

Tamworth had a chance to level late on, with Ty Deacon’s header flying wide following a cross from the right.

The Lambs pushed for a late leveller, but Shields were able to withstand a number of balls into the box to hang on for the three points.

They will aim to make it two home wins in a week when they host Buxton on Tuesday.

South Shields: Boney, Clarke, Adams (c), Liddle, Broadbent, Smith, Woods (Hasani 51), Abbey, Heaney, Blackett (Morse 90+2), Mongoy (Martin 69). Subs not used: Seymour, Briggs.

Goal: Mongoy (58).

Attendance: 2,309.

Image: Kev Wilson.

1,069 views0 comments


bottom of page