top of page

Match Report: South Shields 0-1 Hyde United

South Shields were beaten in the league for just the second time this season as leaders Hyde United won 1-0 at 1st Cloud Arena on Tuesday.

Captain Brad Roscoe struck the only goal for the Tigers 13 minutes from the end after a tight encounter.

The opener had evaded both sides until that point despite several openings, and it always looked likely any goal would prove pivotal.

Roscoe ultimately got it to strengthen Hyde’s position at the top of the table.

Shields, who came into the game following a positive performance in the Emirates FA Cup against Forest Green Rovers three days earlier, started well and had a chance in the second minute, but Mackenzie Heaney’s shot went wide of the post.

Hyde’s first opportunity came in the eight minute as Joe McGlynn’s tame effort was claimed by Myles Boney.

The closest Shields came to breaking the deadlock in the first half followed some impressive build-up play which led to a strike from just outside the area by Conor Newton which whistled past the upright.

Hyde demonstrated some of the quality that has taken them to the top of the standings as the half progressed, and it took a fine one-on-one save by Boney to keep the Mariners level as McGlynn raced through on goal.

There was also an opening for Jack Redshaw when he collected the ball on the left of the area and cut inside before firing a shot which was headed away by Shields’ captain for the night, Gary Liddle.

Shields were agonsingly close to opening the scoring two minutes before the break when Jordan Hunter played a dangerous ball across the face of goal and Heaney was inches away from converting.

The second half started more slowly and goalmouth action was infrequent until Boney was forced into an excellent stop from point-blank range midway through it.

At the other end, Josh Doherty was released on the left side of the area and got a shot away, but goalkeeper Dan Atherton was equal to it and turned it away for a corner, which was dealt with by the Tigers.

The opener came in the 77th minute through Roscoe as a deep free-kick was floated in from the left and the captain won his header, which ricocheted back to him before he slotted it away.

Shields pushed for an equaliser in the remaining minutes of the game, but were unable to test Atherton until the 88th minute, when Michael Woods’ powerful strike was saved by the goalkeeper and Hyde scrambled the rebound to safety.

The Mariners will hope to bounce back on Saturday when they are again in league action at 1st Cloud Arena, this time against Belper Town.

South Shields: Boney, Newton, Doherty (Russ 80), Liddle, Broadbent, Smith, Hunter (Mottley-Henry 67), Woods, Alessandra, Briggs (Gomes 86), Heaney. Subs not used: Morse, Adams.

Hyde United: Atherton, Ditchfield, Neavin, Spooner, Fleming (Fagbola 67), Roscoe, Mampala, Whittingham (Tongue 70), McGlynn (Brown 84), Redshaw, Pratt. Subs not used: Dawson, Maieco.

Attendance: 1,735.

Image: Kev Wilson.

13 views0 comments


bottom of page