top of page

Match Report: Scunthorpe United 3-1 South Shields

South Shields produced a spirited performance against Scunthorpe United at Glanford Park - but were beaten for the second time in Vanarama National League North.

A blistering start from the hosts saw them go two goals up early on but Shields battled their way back, halving the deficit 10 minutes before half-time and then enjoying much of the play in the second half.

A converted penalty five minutes from full-time ended their hopes of a comeback, though, as Scunthorpe climbed into first place with a 3-1 win.

Julio Arca made one change to the team which beat Banbury United three days earlier, with Robert Briggs replacing CJ Clarke in midfield.

Myles Boney was called into action almost immediately as he made a tremendous one-handed save, tipping a rasping drive from Danny Elliott around the post.

Shields' response was impressive and Aaron Martin's flick round the corner looked set to play Paul Blackett in on goal, only for a superbly timed tackle to deny him.

But it was Scunthorpe making much of the early play and after Gary Liddle blocked from Kian Scales, the same player gave the hosts the lead on seven minutes as he slammed home a Danny Whitehall cross from close range.

They could have doubled their advantage soon after, but after a ball from the right found its way to Cameron Wilson, Boney did well to kick away his low strike.

Shields had a number of promising openings but were unable to seriously test Iron goalkeeper Ross Fitzsimons, and they were undone at the other end on 18 minutes as the ball broke to Danny Elliott and he made no mistake in front of goal to add a second for Scunthorpe.

Boney brilliantly tipped a long range effort from Jacob Butterfield and later palmed a header from Elliott onto the bar as the home onslaught continued.

Shields weathered the storm and halved the deficit 10 minutes before half-time when Jordy Mongoy was played in down the right of the area and his ball across goal was turned in by Scunthorpe defender Max Kouogun under pressure from Martin.

Butterfield - a player who has spent much of his career in the Championship - was a driving force from the centre of the park for the hosts and his fierce drive from distance on 20 minutes narrowly cleared the crossbar.

Shields went in at the break a goal behind and started the second half strongly as they probed for an opening.

They almost found one when Blackett's through ball looked set to play Martin in on goal, only for an excellent interception by Tyler Denton to deny him.

The Mariners were gathering momentum and went close to an equaliser on 62 minutes as Briggs' free-kick fell to Tom Broadbent, whose shot from close range was smothered by Ross Fitzsimons in the Scunthorpe goal.

A further chance came when a loose ball was pounced on by Martin, who took it down the left of the area before firing an effort against the legs of a defender.

Substitute CJ Clarke had a 25 yard free-kick deflected wide as Shields continued to press, but they were caught out at the other end five minutes before the end as Hasani was punished for a trip on Connor Smith and Whitehall struck the resulting penalty home via the post.

The Mariners' hopes of taking a point back to South Tyneside were dashed, but they will take plenty of positives into Saturday's game against Rushall Olympic at 1st Cloud Arena.

South Shields: Boney, Lufudu, Adams (c), Liddle, Broadbent, Smith, Briggs (Clarke 73), Hasani, Blackett, Mongoy (Gomes 78), Martin. Subs not used: Morse, Heaney, Abbey.

Goals: Own goal (35).

Attendance: 3,477.

2,128 views0 comments


bottom of page