top of page

Match Report: Nantwich Town 0-1 South Shields

South Shields battled to their first away win of the season as Michael Woods’ first half effort was enough to see off Nantwich Town on Saturday.

Woods struck his fourth goal in five games 10 minutes before half-time as the Mariners triumphed 1-0 at Swansway Stadium to climb to sixth in the early Pitching In Northern Premier League table.

It was a deserved victory for Shields, but they were made to work for it by their dogged hosts.

Despite Kevin Phillips’ side quickly gaining control of possession, it was Nantwich who carved out the first half-chance, with Joel Grant’s teasing low cross diverted towards goal by Dillon Morse and saved by Myles Boney.

Boney also did well to make a close-range stop from Grant after a slick Dabbers move before Sean Cooke fired narrowly wide from the edge of the box for the home team.

Shields, who went into the game on the back of three consecutive draws, established the advantage they would not relinquish on 35 minutes.

Lewis Alessandra pulled into the left channel of the area and delivered a cross which was headed by Dylan Mottley-Henry and parried by home goalkeeper Louis Gray to the feet of Woods, who prodded home to continue his fine scoring streak.

Nantwich responded well and fired Shields a warning with a strike from 20 yards by Joe Robbins which cleared the crossbar.

The first half stretched into seven minutes of stoppage time – primarily due to injuries sustained by Shields pair Gary Liddle and Mottley-Henry, the latter of which needed to be replaced – and in the closing stages of them, the Mariners felt they should have had a penalty.

Alessandra again peeled away down the left of the box and this time he appeared to be tripped, but Shields’ appeals were waved away.

The away side started the second half brightly and after a crisp passing move, substitute Mackenzie Heaney hit a low effort from the right which troubled Gray, who held it at the second attempt.

Chances were difficult to come by at both ends, although Cooke was a threat for Nantwich and had a sight of goal with 17 minutes remaining, but his strike was blocked.

There was also a strike from the right of the area by Casper Hughes which drifted wide, but the Mariners marshalled their hosts well and saw the game out to seal a welcome three points.

They head into Monday’s derby at home to Morpeth Town full of confidence, with just goal difference separating the sides heading into the 3pm kick-off.

Tickets can be purchased by clicking here.

South Shields: Boney, Doherty, Adams (c), Liddle, Morse, Newton, Mottley-Henry (Heaney 43), Woods (Briggs 64), Alessandra (Hodgson 90+3), Smith, Gomes. Subs not used: McGowan, Bodenham.

Goal: Woods (35).

Attendance: 428.

Image: Kev Wilson.

9 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Os comentários foram desativados.
bottom of page